Thursday, April 16, 2015

Misconceptions About Fitness Freaks

So I saw something posted on Facebook that I know I shouldn't take personal, but it's hard not to. I would say more than anything it is "bothersome" that assumptions are being made.  It is something important in my life. It is one of my priorities. NOT my number one priority, but way up there towards the top.  What is it you ask? Let's call it "Health and Fitness."

Let's clear up some misconceptions about "health and fitness"

1. Just because I take care and pride in my personal physical appearance doesn't mean I don't spend time and have fun with my family! I choose to do things that are physically active like swimming, going for a hike, playing catch, going for walks, ice skating, running, roller skating, working out, etc. I prefer that my children not spend hours in front of the TV or iPads. Nor do I personally want to be a couch potato. I choose to spend those hours in a positive manner. Don't get me wrong, we love movie nights with popcorn and candy, but this is a weekly occurrence instead of a daily occurrence like many households.  It's about finding balance in life. A balance of family time, time with your spouse, and personal time. All of which are important!
2. The definition of Ego is a person's sense of self-esteem or self-importance.  Since when did caring about yourself become a bad thing? Vanity allows you to become the best version of yourself. Caring about yourself and your health is a good investment. I spend my money on my health and physical appearance instead of alcohol, junk food, gambling, partying, etc. Vanity is a good hobby that encourages people to workout and take care of their bodies. I am vain, so I use sun block and lotion to preserve my skin, so it will look youthful when I am older. I lift weights to strengthen my bones, so that I don't have osteoporosis later in life.  Vanity makes people reach out to others and share their passion, happiness and knowledge.  Vanity boosts one’s confidence and self-esteem. Aside from self-awareness, vanity is a good source of feel-good vibes. If one looks good, she feels good, too. And it shows in the way she speaks, talks and walks.  I don’t think there’s something wrong about feeling good because you look good.  Beauty and confidence come hand in hand.  A person’s vanity shouldn’t be a cause for judgement. It just happens that their interests are different from yours, and that they spend more time at the gym than say, in front of the television or partying.
3. Working out is a form of stress relief. Some people just want to go home and chill on the couch after a long hard day.  I have no problem with that and don't judge others for doing it; however, I do not believe that is a healthy choice, so I choose not to do that. I would rather spend an hour out of my day at the gym, playing outdoors, etc. That is my form of stress relief. Instead of taking my frustrations of the day out on my family or bottled up, I release them at the gym. This is healthy for you and your family. If you don't take care of yourself, you are in no "shape" to take care of your family.
4. Being healthy and in shape is extremely important for my job and well being. It only takes one sketchy incident in my job where you think, "man, if I was in better shape (faster, stronger, mentally sound) that would not have happened!!" It could be the difference between life or death.
5. One reason that people love to argue about and say your man/woman should love you regardless: choosing to stay attractive for your mate. It is important to look good for him and keep the romance alive. We take for granted that when we get married we no longer have to "try." I don't agree with that. I think that is why many relationships fail (speaking from experience), because we quit trying. We quit trying to look attractive, we quit trying to make the other person happy, we quit trying to communicate, etc.  This should be towards the top of our priority list. 
6. For the record, I NEVER preach skinny!!!! I focus on healthy! I teach my children that it is about eating healthy and being the strongest, best version of ourselves possible; Mentally and physically. Being physically healthy is a direct correlation to being mentally healthy!  
7. My gym time takes away some of my time with my children, so I make up for it in other ways.  I meet them for lunch at school.  I take the time to write them notes and cards in their backpacks and lunches to let them know how much I love them. We spend time together doing fun family activities. I try to make bedtime extra special. I would be willing to bet that if you look at the QUALITY time I spend with my kids versus a Facebook addicted mom/ stay at home mom/social butterfly mom/soccer mom, etc. you will see my time is just as equal if not more abundant. 

So that is my soap box! This is my choice and just a few of the reasons for my choice.  We are all entitled to our own choices and opinions. We should all be mindful and non judgmental of others' choices which are made based on different lifestyle dynamics. I do not agree in judging someone's healthy fitness inspired life and putting down their beliefs as an excuse not to do something that is hard, mentally and physically demanding. I have learned through experience that taking care of yourself is extremely important to stay happy and take good care of those in your life. 

Cheers! And hope you have a happy and healthy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment